Thursday, April 24, 2008

Good Don't Go

The difference between right and wrong - isn't that what most people tried teaching us all throughout our childhood? Our parents, our teachers, elders all made it a point to convince us little impressionable beings to be 'good children', 'good people' and 'good humans'. Isn't it ironic though, that most adults actually believe that in order to survive or be successful, it is important that we forget or ignore this difference? That we chose the path which will get us to the goal, giving little importance to the ethical appropriateness of our means? And we give it a flashy term too - street smartness!
I wouldn't blame them totally. I know that expecting the world to be nice to you because you are nice is like expecting a tiger not to eat you because you are a vegetarian. Also, when things in life don't end up going your way or when you are stung by the so-called street smart, it is very easy and tempting too to go all sour and bitter against the world and enroll in the 'no use being nice' school of thought. I have been pretty close (and still am) to crossing over on the other side. Luckily, stubbornness and great friends have helped me stay rooted on this side of the line.
So I wonder, given that I am in the adult minority, am I being foolhardy in believing that good will take me where I want to go? That it will take me much further than bad? Lets see - In a way the immediate benefits of changing my beliefs are many. Firstly, I can blame all that's happening in life to my 'trying to be good'. Bad can make me a winner much faster in all that I have failed to conquer. But my question is - will it keep me there? Will it make me one of those cynics who treat the whole world as 'guilty until proven innocent'? Thats like being wary of others like yourself! Will I start looking at life like a battle to be fought rather than a journey to be enjoyed? Most importantly, will that fetch me sustainable happiness? Well, I don't think so!
So it pains me every time someone from my team decides to change sides. I don't know what to promise to them if they stay on, since I haven't seen too many benefits myself. As of now its only the fact that you will be at peace with yourself. But like all good things, I guess most realize that the value of it only when its gone and its too late for anything to be done about it. Don't make that mistake! Keep the faith!

2 comments:

Ganesh Hegde said...

this comment w.r.t who man?

Varun said...

@ganesh

It doesn't matter who - what matters is how many - n yes there are many!