Friday, March 13, 2009

Pollution Under Control

Just this Monday I was stopped by a traffic cop for routine checking. As my luck would have it my PUC certificate had expired just a week ago. The initial reaction was one of shock since I thought that renewal was due in April, which later turned to anger at myself and eventually transformed into acceptance of my mistake and resignation to that fact. I did mention to the cop that otherwise I am routine with keeping my PUC updated, and this time I genuinely forgot, but he wasn't willing to listen. He told me that he would 'challan' (fine) me Rs. 100. He was expecting a different reply, he seemed taken aback at my 'ok' as I took out a green coloured note and handed it over to him. After a moment of staring at me, he then pulled out some change from his pocket (Rs. 40), counted it and offered it to me saying that I could use that for getting a PUC test done if I didn't ask him for a 'pavti' (receipt). I told him that I would rather have the receipt. With another momentary stare, he proceeded to open his receipt book and issue me one.
The point of this post is not to portray myself as a hero and evoke a reply of 'cool' (or alternately 'jackass') from the reader, but to reflect as to whether it was the right thing to do. According to some people I happened to mention this incident to, it wasn't. A couple of reasonable questions were put to me:

1. Do you think the 100 rupees you paid will go anywhere else but in someone else's pocket? Will it be put to good use? If not a direct bribe, it will eventually end up in someone's bank account by way of a scam.

2. Does the cop who caught you even know the meaning of Pollution Under Control? Even if he does, is he standing in the middle of the road, catching errant motorists because he cares about enviromental pollution?

3. Does the PUC certificate hold any relevance? How is it that many 'visibly' polluting vehicles on Indian roads have valid PUC certificates?

I know that I can't honestly or confidently give a positive response to any of these questions.
The strange thing was, the guy who eventually did my PUC check didn't even bother to check the exact reading on the PUC machine. He did make the effort of puting in the inlet pipe into my bike's exhaust for a minute, after which he made me a new PUC certificate. Why would he deny anyone a PUC certificate and lose out on the Rs 30 income? For honesty? I know, I would do it for honesty, but I have been repeatedly told that not all people are (stupid) like me.

So here are the answers I gave myself to justify to my action to myself:

1. I don't know for sure. However, there is a definite probability that atleast some of it will be put to good use, after all, the cops ensure law and order (no one can deny that one can live with a reasonable feeling of safety in Pune), they have to use some of the money they are allotted or collect in the way of fines. If I would have paid the bribe, then I would have lost the right to criticise the cops in case some crime was committed in the city. Besides bribing is a two-way crime, both the parties are at fault. Hence, I was right in doing what I did.

2. In all probability the cop has no clue what PUC means, but he doesn't need to. He is doing his duty in checking whether people are following the rules, if I forgot to renew it, that's my fault, and it is my duty to pay the fine and renew the certificate, both of which I did. Hence, I did my duty and hence I was right.

3. It is a rule, and one made with good intention. Evidence of other people breaking the rules is never a good justification for breaking them yourself. (Unfortunately, that is a major problem in the attitude of most people - justifying their wrongs by pointing out that others are doing the same thing. I think this is one of the major flaws holding back India's social development, but that discussion should be a part of another post). I don't want to join the set of people breaking rules which are good for the planet. I will do my bit by following them. Hence, I have convinced myself that I was right again.

One of the good things that comes out of getting the feeling that one has done the 'right' thing is peaceful sleep and I enjoy mine :)

3 comments:

Makayiram Thirunal Marthanda Varma said...

the 100 rupees charged as per Rule is not to block or hinder any citizen for his day-to-day life and as a reminder for the first time, which is used for the departmental welfare.

2. The cop is merely a soldier or machinery for execution, representing the senior level one who know of PUC and directed him the procedure.

3. Does the PUC certificate hold any relevance? CERTIFICATE is just an identity. Even if you are present at a place, your identity is very important and there must have an identity that the Vehicle is perfectly maintained in time so as not to pollute the atmosphere, and in addition, direct inspection bythe MV Inspector.

Varun said...

love your attitude dude... thats the way to go... there are many like you, so you are not alone! Lage raho!

profile deleted said...

It always right do what's right, regardless of the consequences. This is the definition of integrity.

By the way, I really like the title of the blog, "Honest Reflection". I believe honest reflection is one of the critical steps to true transformation.